Welcome to bithorde, the fast and light content distribution system, aimed for high-performance de-centralized content distribution.
Key features are;
- High performance
- Gigabits of possible throughput on average consumer hardware (if your network and storage-media can cope)
- Light footprint
- Only consumes a few megabytes of RAM, and few CPU cycles. Ideal for running in background on machines with other purposes.
- Live streaming
- BitHorde works like a distributed, heavily cached filesystem of read-only assets.
- A FUSE-filesystem will be available for opening any uploaded assets directly in a viewer, letting bithorde deal with downloading, caching, seeking and all those boring details.
- Conceptually, as soon as an asset has been uploaded somewhere in a bithorde network, it's readily available for immediate consumption everywhere in the network.
- BitHorde only deals with the content of the assets.
- Content is identified by hash-value and not even the name of the content is stored.
- Automatic content de-duplication, same content added simultaneously in several places will effectively be merged by the network, even if asset-names would differ.
- BitHorde is intended to be combined with other systems for metadata in various configurations;
- Web-server backend, database serves all metadata, while bithorde pulls the heavy lifting in delivering streaming media to clients.
- F2F content-sharing through magnet-links with metadata hand hash-references to BitHorde.